DiSo (dee • zoh) is an umbrella project for a group of open source implementations of these distributed social networking concepts. or as Chris puts it: “to build a social network with its skin inside out”.
See, Chris recently started a new job working on DiSo full-time at Vidoop. With the announcements of Facebook connect and Google's Friend Connect, there is a battle raging for control of your identity and your relationships. DiSo, in many respects, is the free open answer for the rest of the internet. It combines several free, open standards that already exist in the wild like OpenID, OAuth, and Microformats for exchanging identity and "friend" information.
So, Chris reached out a handful of us Drupal folks about getting on board. The good news is: we, the Drupal community, are already well on our way:
- OpenID (in Drupal 6.x core)
- OpenID Provider : http://drupal.org/project/openid_provider
- OpenID Attribute Exchange : http://drupal.org/project/openid_ax (in progress via Google SoC)
- OAuth : http://drupal.org/project/oauth
- Atom : syndication only - http://drupal.org/project/atom - might be nice to have a basic envelop generator/parser implementation
- XMPP : http://drupal.org/project/jabber , http://drupal.org/project/xmpp and http://drupal.org/project/xmpp_server (the latest of which is maybe the most promising)
- vCard / hCard : http://drupal.org/project/vcard
From the list of Drupal modules above, you may notice that this is an area of interest of mine :-P I look forward to working with the rest of the DiSo project and the Drupal community on this stuff!